Overview of research projects:
(1) Climate change risk perceptions
(2) International projects examining responses to large-scale traumatic events, such as natural disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis) and terrorist attacks; and ways to improve recovery efforts. Recent projects: (a) psychological responses to Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the Indian Ocean Tsunami in Thailand, and earthquake and volcanic eruptions in Indonesia; (b) coping and distress following earthquakes in India and El Salvador; (c) evaluation, assessment, and redesign of disaster preparedness recommendations, (d) resilience and coping following the attacks on September 11, 2001; (e) a cross-national study examining preparedness and distress in U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United States following Hurricane Georges.
Following the Indian Ocean Tsunami, Dr. Sattler established the International Tsunami Museum in Khao Lak, Thailand and produced an educational video in Thai to teach children about tsunami threats (see Dr. Sattler's home page for more information).
(3) Social dilemmas: Factors influencing cooperative and competitive behavior in situations where individual and collective interests are in conflict.
David Sattler, Geoff Kramer, Virginia Shabatay, and Doug Bernstein created innovative textbooks for psychology courses. These texts use dynamic nonfiction first-person stories to promote students' understanding of psychological concepts and cross-cultural issues. The "Psychology in Context: Voices and Perspectives" series published by Houghton Mifflin are designed for introductory psychology, abnormal psychology, lifespan development, and child development courses.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Group Processes
- Interpersonal Processes
- Organizational Behavior
- Sattler, D. N., Kramer, G. P., Shabatay, V., & Bernstein, D. A. (2000). Child development in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Sattler, D. N., Kramer, G. P., Shabatay, V., & Bernstein, D. A. (2000). Lifespan development in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Sattler, D. N., & Shabatay, V. (2000). Psychology in context: Voices and perspectives (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Sattler, D. N., Shabatay, V., & Kramer, G. P. (1998). Abnormal psychology in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Sattler, D. N. (2006). Family resources, family strains, and stress following the Northridge earthquake. Stress, Trauma, and Crisis: An International Journal, 3-4, 187-202.
- Sattler, D. N. (1998). The need principle in social dilemmas. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 13, 667-678.
- Sattler, D. N., Assanangkornchai, S., Moller, A., Kesavatana-Dohrs, W., & Graham, J. M. (2014). Indian Ocean Tsunami: Relationships among posttraumatic stress, posttraumatic growth, resource loss, and social support at three and fifteen months. Journal of Trauma and Dissociation: Systemic Trauma Special Issue, 15, 219-239.
- Sattler, D. N., Boyd, B., & Kirsch, J. (2014). Trauma-exposed firefighters: Relationships among posttraumatic growth, posttraumatic stress, resource availability, coping and critical incident stress debriefing experience. Stress and Health. doi: 10.1002/smi.2608
- Sattler, D. N., Glower de Alvarado, A. M., Blandon de Castro, N., Van Male, R., Zetino, A. M., & Vega, R. R. (2006). El Salvador earthquakes: Relationships among acute stress disorder symptoms, depression, traumatic event exposure, and resource loss. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 19, 879-893
- Sattler, D. N., Kaiser, C. F., & Hitter, J. B. (2000). Disaster preparedness: Relationships among prior experience, personal characteristics, and distress. Journal of Applied Social Pychology, 30, 1396-1420.
- Sattler, D. N., & Kerr, N. L. (1991). Might versus morality explored: Motivational and cognitive bases for social motives. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60, 756-765.
- Sattler, D. N., Kirsch, J., Shipley, G., Cocke, P., & Stegmeier, R. (2014). Emergency preparedness on campus: Improving procedural knowledge and response readiness. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 11, 1-12. doi: 10.1515/jhsem-2013-0075.
- Sattler, D. N., & Larpenteur, K. (2011). Active shooter on campus: Evaluation of text and e-mail warning effectiveness. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 8, Article 41, 1-15. doi: 10.2202/1547-7355.1826
- Sattler, D. N., & Marshall, A. (2002). Hurricane preparedness: Improving television hurricane watch and warning graphics. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 20, 41-49.
- Sattler, D. N. Preston, A., Kaiser, C. F., Olivera, V. E., Valdez, J., & Schlueter, S. (2002). Hurricane Georges: A cross-national study examining preparedness, resource loss, and psychological distress in the U. S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United States. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 15, 339-350.
- Abbiatti, M., Mastrangelo, M., Jones., J., Creel., J., Sattler, D. N., Benson, R., Crickett, G., Elwood, J., Hunter-Reed, K., Langsdale, G., Megna, M., Panborn, R., Petrie, J., & Sener, J. (2010). A risk analysis standard for natural and man-made hazards to higher education. American Society of Mechanical Engineers Innovative Technology Institute (Approved by the American National Standards Institute).
- Lemm, K. M., Lane, K. A., Sattler, D. N., Khan, S. A., & Nosek, B. A. (2008). Assessing implicit cognitions with a paper-format Implicit Association Test. In T. G. Morrison & M.A. Morrison (Eds.), The psychology of modern prejudice (pp. 123-146). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Sattler, D. N. (2008, January). The International Tsunami Museum: Researchers make a difference in Thailand. Natural Hazards Observer, 32, 1-3.
- Sattler, D. N. (2005). Teaching students about the psychology of natural disasters. Newsletter of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 8.
- Sattler, D. N. (2003). Resiliency, posttraumatic growth, and psychological distress following the attacks on America. In Natural Hazards Research and Applications Information Center, Public Entity Risk Institute, and Institute for Civil Infrastructure Systems, Beyond September 11th: An account of post-disaster research, Special Publication No. 39 (pp. 315-332). Boulder, CO: Natural Hazards Research and Applications Information Center, University of Colorado.
- Environmental Psychology
- Introductory Psychology
- Laboratory in Social Psychology
- Seminar in Social Psychology
- Social Psychology
David N. Sattler
Department of Psychology
Western Institute for Social Research
Western Washington University
Bellingham, Washington 98225-9172
- Phone: (360) 650-3525
- Fax: (360) 650-7305